Adding a placeholder to talk about my Phantom Stream project. The project is still ongoing, but here are the milestones to date:
- Got a DJI Phantom Quadcopter for my 30th birthday
- Printed a custom mount with my MakerBot to hold the camera system
- The camera system is a Raspberry Pi ($35) plus camera module ($25) with a fisheye lens ($10). It is powered by a 5v cell phone battery backup ($30). It has a wireless-n USB dongle ($10) for communication.
- On the ground, I have a wireless router with a high powered directional antenna that can be run from a 12v battery.
- I am streaming video wirelessly using GStreamer and watching the stream on my Macbook Air. The lag isn’t bad as long as I fly above the directional antenna, I would say around 300-500ms.
The next part of the project is to add a 2nd camera system and send the stream to the Oculus Rift. I’ll be trying that in the next few days and will update this post with pictures and videos.